Definition of the Week (13) – Truth of the Path
Jetsün Chokyi Gyaltsen:
“Truth of the Path: A truth characterised by possessing the aspects of path, suitability, accomplishment and definitely liberating, and belonging to the completely purified side.”
Truth of the Path
One is mistaken with regards to the truth of the path by thinking that:
– a path to liberation is non-existent,
– thinking that meditation on selflessness isn’t suitable to be the path,
– holding certain meditative absorptions alone to be the path to liberation
– holding a path reversing suffering to be non-existent.
Understanding the four aspects of the noble truth of the path, which are path, suitable, accomplishment and definitely liberating, counteracts those misconceptions.
Take the subject wisdom directly realising selflessness
- it is the aspect of path – because it is a path progressing towards liberation
- it is the aspect of suitable – because it is the direct antidote against the afflictions
- it is the aspect of accomplishment – because it is a transcendental wisdom directly realising minds final nature
- it is the aspect of definitely liberating – because it is the antidote irreversibly eliminating the afflictions.